Prep Your Skin For Autumn and Winter
The cold will be returning soon and your skincare routine shouldn't stop there. In the cold and changing air temperatures, your skin can have a reaction. This may include dry, irritated, dehydrated, and dulling of the skin. This can be due to a number of reasons too. Read below for advice on how to tackle these changes.
Dry Skin Treatments
Exfoliate regularly. The changes in the air temperature and pressure can dry out your skin and may cause a build-up of dead skin cells, by using an exfoliator (light or deep), this will gently remove skin cells and reveal fresh, smooth, and rejuvinated skin.
To exfoliate your head/hair, we recommend the Aveda Invati Advanced Exfoliating Shampoo which comes in a light or rich formula.
Your skin can become irritated when faced with changing environments, the best thing to do is apply as minimal amount of product as possible. Do not apply anything on broken or cut skin.
Apply a cold compress. This is a great solution for taking the sting out of irritated skin and also reducing any swelling you might be experiencing
We recomment natural products to clean your body and face, such as the Donegal Natural Soap Meadowsweet & Lavender Exfoliator which gently exfoliates the skin. For your face, you could use a product that is non-scented, mild cleansers or soap-free products, such as the MooGoo Natural Full Cream Moisturiser
Often times, coming into the Winter time, we are met with extreme temperatures from being exposed to the cold outside to hot air conditioning inside - which can leave your skin feeling dehydrated. Apart from drinking plenty of water, we have a few pointers to prevent your skin from becoming dehydrated.
- Drink less coffee and other sources of caffeine.
- Stop smoking.
- Exercise regularly.
- If you haven't already - introduce a facial serum into your skincare regime - this comes after cleaning and toning your skin, and before your moistriser.
- An amazing product we find works best for dehydrated skin is the Vichy Minéral 89 Fortifying and Plumping Daily Booster Serum - it literally feels like your skin is getting a glass of water instantly!
Dulling of the Skin
Often we need a boost for the skin in the Winter time due to the dull days and nights and the lack of sunshine. A vitamin C supplement in your skincare can brighten up dulled skin.
- Clinique Superdefence Multi-Correcting Cream in SPF25 or SPF40 to helps visibly correct the first signs of ageing, uneven texture, dullness, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Trilogy Age-Proof Overnight Mask which has vitamin c for radiance, and hyaluronic acid for hydration, and contains a powerful blend of anti-ageing ingredients to have you wake up to younger, more hydrated skin.